Thursday, January 21, 2010

Money from a Motor Mouth

Okay, so there I was, lying in bed somewhere blissfully between asleep and awake, contemplating the amazing aspects of life when the most horrible thought EVER came to mind. What if they put a tax on TALKING?!? I would be completely doomed if such legislation were ever put into place. Seriously, it’s not a major stretch. Crazier things have happened. Until just this year, government had even managed to tax a person for venturing to die! I can just picture it. Me, standing at the pearly gates about to cross the threshold into eternal perfection when I stop and say, “Hey, God, so I’m totally psyched about worshipping at your feet for the next few millennia, but could you please excuse me for a moment while I run down to the bank and write a quick check to Uncle Sam?” The absurdity of that scene was just too much! So, you can imagine how horrified I was at the concept of a talking tax. Just like dying, everyone does it, so they could make a mint off of ramblers such as myself. They could call it the Money from Motor Mouths Law.
I’ve always been a talker. Pretty much every report card I ever received as a child read as follows: “Grade: A Comment: Veronica talks too much.” I remember my mother telling me on more than one occasion when I was younger, “Veronica, let people wonder what you are thinking. You don’t always have to say what’s on your mind.” I disagreed. What can I say? I love to talk. I talk to myself when I’m alone. I’ve been known to occasionally answer myself. My dog, Joey, is a terrific listener. Other drivers could benefit from my commentary. My husband, Chad, says I even talk in my sleep. If the Money from Motor Mouths Law were to go into effect, I would be BA-ROKE! I’d be broker than broke. My family would be paying back taxes for years following my death. I’m just a woman who speaks her mind! I think parmesan cheese tastes like the smell of feet, taxing dead people is ludicrous, and sagging jeans just look ridiculous…I don’t care to see your Superman boxer briefs thank you very much. I also think teachers should be paid more than professional football players, we should make an effort to know the names of the people in our lives who clean up after us, and ultimately, that I have the greatest husband and kids in the world! Yes, people, there are a lot of random thoughts rattling around in this head of mine, and I’m pretty sure at some point in my life I have spoken every one of them! I’m just so thankful to live in a country where that is legal and completely FREE to do so!
After the initial wave of horror following the thought of a talk-tax, I really began to think of what could follow such legislation. The hubster texted me on his way to work this morning, “You need to read K-LOVE’s encouraging word of the day.” So, I hurried to my e-mail inbox and it read, “Make it your goal to live a quiet life, minding your own business and working with your hands... I Thessalonians 4:11, NLT.” I giggled as the realization of its implication sank in. I responded with, “How fitting for my talking tax concept,” and he came back with, ”I know, right!?” That man! Whatever will I do with him? I suppose someone has to keep me in line!
You know, I assume the state of our world would be very different if we had to pay every time we opened our mouths to speak. In essence, we really do pay, if not with currency, with consequence. Countless times throughout my life I have thought immediately following something I said, “Man! I wish I hadn’t said that.” I’ve had to apologize many times. I’ve even been smacked across the face for allowing myself to speak what was on my mind, and why? Simply because I didn’t gage the affect of what I was going to say before I spoke the words, or didn’t care. Either way, things would have turned out better for me if I’d chosen to take the advice of my mother and allowed them to wonder what I was thinking rather than offering them the benefit of knowing.
You see, words are very powerful. Once they are out, there is no reeling them back in. They cannot be erased like they can be when written. We can’t call, “Do over!” Once spoken, words are out there, crashing thru whatever situation that may be occurring. One can bolster or destroy a person with words alone. I would like to think we would further consider the implications of our comments before we speak should we be taxed for the privilege, but most likely we would all merely adjust our budgets to accommodate the new mandate. It’s sad, really, to think that we would rather pay than change, because what an opportunity we would have if we seriously chose to censor our speech. I hope I would speak more life into my family and friends, infuse them with encouragement and with love. I should hope to hear less criticizing, argument, and insult…a decrease in gossip, lies, and hate. But why wait until a tax is issued? Why not start today? If we simply decide to use the power of words to uplift one another, a change in our world can happen out of desire and not out of necessity. A kind word can soften an angry neighbor. A compliment could help the confidence of co-worker. A heartfelt “I still love you” could literally save a marriage on its way downhill. All too often, we use words to cut and disarm others. If we consciously choose to use those powerful little nouns, verbs, adjectives, and adverbs to benefit others, how much better would our world become? You never know when something you say may completely turn a situation around for someone, improving their day altogether. We simply have to choose to use our words for good rather than hurt.
Let’s do it! Let’s take that adventure together, you and I. Let’s challenge each other to use the things we say to improve someone else’s day, to improve ourselves. Who knows? It may be contagious!